Students Cook Sweet Challenge
North Carolina SweetPotato Commission, based in Benson, North Carolina is a nonprofit corporation made up of over 400 sweetpotato growers along with the packers, processors and business associates that support them. The sole purpose of the commission is to increase sweetpotato consumption through education, promotional activities, research and honorable horticultural practices among its producers. Since 1971, North Carolina has held the distinction of being the number one sweetpotato producing state in the nation.
The hot moist climate and rich fertile soil of North Carolina provides the ideal setting for cultivating the nation’s best sweet potatoes. Averaging nearly 60% of the nation’s supply, our state-of-the-art curing and storing facilities help make our sweetpotatoes available 365 days a year.
The North Carolina SweetPotato Commission works with many resources for recipe creation to ensure a favorite for everyone in the family. Sweetpotatoes are considered to be one of nature’s super foods. Chefs as well as food and health experts, appreciate its richness in variety, nutritional values and compatibility with modern food trends.
Challenge and instructions
- Review our “Sweet Eats with Sarah” video for inspiration. Video is located on the NCSPC YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-rU1JfgBiQV_foYSHc-XvQ
- Select your favorite sweetpotato recipe, be it grandma’s casserole, sweetpotato pie, a recipe found in a cookbook or online.
- Make the recipe your own. We want to see how you can tweak this recipe to suit your family needs. It may be adding several ingredients, removing others, or maybe starting completely over, using the original recipe as inspiration. Please document original source.
- Create your new recipe.
- Artistically plate the sweetpotato recipes and capture photo or video.
- Post picture along with recipe name to the NCSPC Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/ncsweetpotatoes and the Instagram page at https://www.instagram.com/ncsweetpotatoes/ no later than May 1, 2020
- Use the #StudentsCookSweet #NCSPC #GottobeNC and #CTEforNC
- Tag @NCFCSed @CTEforNC and your school.
This contest will end on May 8, 2020. The following week, NCSPC staff will rank post engagement and declare a winner of a $50 Amazon gift card.